Community Development Permit Process

Application for house number

If your property does not currently have an address you can apply for one at the administration office located at:

225 West Main
Harrison, MI 48625

You will need to have the correct property tax ID number along with the street name and direction for which you need an address for.


Zoning permits (where zoning ordinances exist) are required to be obtained prior to erecting, raising, moving, reconstructing, extending or enlarging any building, structure or part thereof.
Zoning permits are also required prior to changing the use of a building, structure and/or land.

To complete an application at the Clare County Community Development Department, you will need the following:

  • Correct property tax ID
  • Legal description
  • Address of property
  • Septic approval (if applicable)
  • Soil erosion permit (if applicable)
  • Property owner signature
  • Completed plot plan
  • Township split approval (if applicable)
  • And/or new deed (if applicable)

Certificate of Occupancy

A building or structure shall not be used or occupied until a certificate of occupancy has been issued by the Building Official. After all final inspections, including plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and building have been completed and approved, a request for Certificate of Occupancy must be submitted to the Building Official. The Certificate of Occupancy can be picked up at the administration office. After the Certificate of Occupancy is issued the dwelling may then be occupied.

Remember-before digging near your home or business, call Miss Dig at 800.482.7171.